Saturday, October 10, 2015

Cargoship 14: Intro

Introduction:
This is a fictional historical non-fiction told from the future.
When I started this book I intended it to be a story about the two protagonists. But at the same time I wanted to give a detailed vision of what the future space industry would look like. I wanted to talk about the technologies used and the people who used them. While that can be done in a standard work of fiction it can often become tedious to read and difficult to write if you wish characters to convey all of this in their dialogue or actions. There was also the problem of a theme and compelling story.
I felt that the story was compelling based on the accomplishments of the characters. But if I were to turn it into a piece of fiction that is unfolding before the reader then it could go on and on.
So I decided to take a different approach. This book tells a story of the future as if it were written by a history professor looking back from even further into the future. It is an historical non-fiction told from the perspective of a fictional future. In this way I was able to explain the technology and the people in a very literal way and help to show what might be needed in order for the space industry to grow enough to create a space society.
True I use my writer’s privilege to perhaps exaggerate what the future may be. As an engineer I realize that I may have overestimated some technologies underestimated others and surely created some that may never exist. And though I state certain events as having happened, I assure the reader that they are neither predictions nor expressions of any kind of sentiment. They are simply a means to create a compelling narrative.

I hope that the adventures and accomplishments of the crew of Cargoship 14 will help to inspire those who may become the real space adventurers in opening universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment